Thursday, December 4, 2014

Weeknight philosophy

Life can drag sometimes, can't it? I mean the mundane busy necessities of work and cleaning and diaper-changing and grocery-getting and laundry, laundry, and more laundry, and what's for dinner? and car repairs and to-do lists and budgets... And it has no end. They are not meaningless, these busy necessities, but their merits can certainly get overlooked in their busy midst.

Tonight I made a to-do list. I then proceeded to complete two of the ten items and call it good. Because sometimes you gotta know when to slow down and stop letting life drag.

The rest of my night: I ate a perfect grilled cheese sandwich with from-scratch butternut squash soup (both made by my husband--I'm a lucky girl.)

I had a major Jones for chocolate and peanut butter in cookie form, so I made these and they are better even than they look.

And I gave Roger Biscuit his first solo bathtub bath where he was sitting in the big porcelain tub on his own! He was just splashing away, and playing in the stream from the faucet, and laughing like it was such a privelege not to be in the little green baby tub. Six months old and already showing the signs of burgeoning independence and self-awareness.

 I'm so glad he wants me to be right there with him as he learns to do things for himself. But seriously, I had a moment when he was a'splashin in the tub where I was r e a l l y sad he is no longer the little 8lb bean I bathed so gently for the first time. He never will be again and that is so final and concrete and it makes me think I'm going to have a lot of trouble watching him grow into a great big man without me having a complete emotional breakdown.

Man. My parents must be completely depressed that 3/4 of their kids are permanently adultified. But they get grandkids out of the bargain so maybe it's not so bad. And maybe as you watch your kids grow up, the contrast between sweet little baby son and stubble-chinned, 6'4" man-son is less severe because you've been there for the steady change. Maybe when Dave's mom looks at him she still just sees baby David.

Sigh. Motherhood is making me so philosophical. Time for another cookie.

No comments:

Post a Comment