Monday, December 15, 2014

Christmas spirit

It's like winter in Seattle here this morning, mild and rainy. So strange. I want the familiarity of snow and blustery winds. Christmas is ten days away and I am so thrown-off by waking up to the sounds of rain on the roof and car tires splashing through the street puddles. Snow is much quieter than rain. It's sneaky like that.

So Christmas is upon us in this drizzly land, and while I'll hold out for the white stuff, I'm getting in the Christmas spirit right now. For me, that means planning the meals, cookies, cakes, and maybe even pies that will grace the tables of our holiday gatherings. Meal planning is probably my absolute favorite way to get into the mood for Christmas. Tomorrow I'm bringing baked Brie with raspberry filling and a savory galette to our first Christmas party of the year. Thursday night I'll be making cookies with some gals from church. And I'll need to make about three dozen more cookies (jam thumbprints) for a Christmas cookie exchange I'm attending on Sunday. Next week I'll focus on my birthday meal, since we will get the pleasure of eating Christmas dinner at our "surrogate" family's house (the family I nanny for.) My birthday meal is going to be fattening and divine: my mom's meatloaf recipe, which has a tangy-sweet sauce, mashed potatoes ala Dave, roasted Brussels sprouts, homemade Mac and cheese, and birthday cake in some form. I'm having trouble deciding between chocolate peanut butter layer cake, and chocolate cherry cheesecake. Why must I choose!? Maybe I'll make both. Because it's my birthday and adult birthdays lack the fanfare of child birthdays so one must compensate with indulging in mild gluttony.

What gets you into the Christmas spirit? Probably giving, right? Because you're a much better person than I am and think of others before you think of your stomach.


No comments:

Post a Comment