Saturday, September 19, 2015

autumn waves hello

Roger and I went on a walk to the farmer's market this morning. We set out at about 10am and returned at half past noon, him sleeping in his stroller, and I regretting my footwear.

The day is bright and clear and chilly like Midwestern autumn days are supposed to be. I walked past my dozen or so favorite houses in Sioux Falls on the way into downtown, and without Dave there to make fun of me, I took some pictures to try to capture their charm.

The camera lens is never a perfect conduit for the beauty taken in by the eye, but I try to ignore that. I did snap this one of the faded, white-washed brick house that Dave and I agree is our future home. You know, "someday."
I love the overgrown, careless charm of this house. And it's just as lovely in the winter.

We reached the farmers market in just enough time for me to snag the last of the arugula. So pesto is on the menu again, hurrah! 

Roger dropped his teddy at least twice while we walked. Thankfully I noticed both times and was able to retrieve it (having to backtrack and grab it from the middle of a busy street one of those times.) Most of Roger's favorite stuffed animals are actually from his daddy's childhood, so I had to get him a teddy bear so he has something that if lost on a walk, Daddy won't be heartbroken. Dave takes his childhood stuffed animals very seriously. His most highly-prized "friends" dwell on a high shelf in Roger's room so he can't ever reach them to ruin or lose them. (Dave is the sentimental one between us.)

I'm trying to decide what to bake today. I still have apples leftover from the ones I gathered from the trees at work last week (my nanny family lets me take all that I wish. It's another perk of my job.) Maybe a crisp or galette instead of pie like I made last weekend.
Although it's kind of hard to beat pie... I'll ask Dave and let him decide for me. I've got to fatten him up for winter.

Dave should be home soon; he's been volunteering on a charity paint project today and this afternoon we're going to go thrifting. Maybe I can even convince Dave to detour somewhere were I can gather more wildflowers for our kitchen table.
Gathering wildflowers is my F A V O R I T E . And Roger's nap is still going strong since I transferred him from stroller to crib. Today is already such a great day. I hope your weekend is going well too! Go outside, y'all!



No comments:

Post a Comment